Enjoy and active life without the need for glasses or contact lenses
Orthokeratology or "Ortho-K" lenses are unique contact lenses that take away your short sight while you sleep. They do this by gently changing the shape of your eye in a controlled way. All contact lenses even dailies change your eye in this way but Ortho-K lenses are made to suit your eye precisely and enhance the affect to correct your eyesight. So when you wake up you will take out your Ortho-K lenses and have clear vision all day!
Also known as corneal reshaping or overnight vision correction, specially designed rigid gas permeable lenses gently alter the shape of your cornea in order to correct low to moderate levels of myopia (short sight). The procedure may also be effective with low degrees of astigmatism. Ortho-K lenses are cheaper than the monthly cost of some daily disposable contact lenses.
Ortho-K lenses are worn nightly and removed in the morning. The aim is to correct vision with out the need for spectacles or contact lenses during the day. Because the effects on the shape of the eye are temporary, the eyes return to normal if the lenses are left off for a few days. A lubricating gel is inserted with the lens just before you plan to go to sleep so there is little discomfort.
The main advantage is that nothing is worn during the day which is particularly useful for some activities such as water and contact sports. Since it is possible to see both with and without the lenses, they correct vision around the clock. Ortho-K wearers no longer experience problems with hay fever, dryness, air conditioning, wind, dust or slippage... leaving you free to focus on enjoying a modern, active lifestyle.
Mackey Opticians offer a number of different manufacturers of Ortho-K lenses including Wave and NocturnalTM lenses. At present, we offer Ortho-K at our practices on North Street, Belfast and Main Street, Bangor.
- No contact related dryness during the day
- Perfect for swimming and other water sports where contact lenses may be unsuitable.
- Play contact sports without risk of losing or dislodging lenses
- Work in (air-conditioned, dry or hot) areas where contact lenses may not normally be suitable.
- Naturally good eyesight during the day
- None of the risks of laser surgery
- Reversible changes simply by stop wearing the lenses
- Reduced chance of losing or breaking lenses as normally put in and taken out at home
- Parent can help with cleaning and handling lenses for young children – also no potential problem of wearing contact lenses during the school day
- Recent studies have reported reduction in myopia progression – that is, you stop getting more short-sighted or at least slow the rate of change.
- Comparable cost to regular contact lenses
Who is Ortho-K for?
- People suffering from myopia, or short-sightedness, to enjoy a life without lenses or specs during the day, whilst enjoying clear, natural, corrected vision.
- Patients with the following prescription:
- Spherical spectacle prescription of -5.00D. Higher prescriptions can be treated although not as reliably.
- Astigmatism of up to -2.50D
- People who want clear natural vision all day - every day
- Sporting or active people
- Children - Ortho-k can help to reduce the progression of shortsightedness
- People who have considered laser surgery but are worried about the risks
- People who find contact lenses uncomfortable or specs inconvenient
Myopia Control - Reduce the progression of Short-sightedness
Numerous studies on myopia (short-sightedness) and ortho-k have indicated that these lenses can dramatically slow, even stop, the progression of short-sightedness in children. Subsequently they can reduce the risk of developing associated problems such as glaucoma and retinal detachment in adulthood. Please see the related video below from ITV News.
Ortho-k is fantastic for children. Parents can be taught to help their children insert and remove their lenses. As lenses are only worn at night and normally at home, there is less fear of losing or breaking lenses (or glasses) as nothing is worn to school.
- Through the eyes of users:
- How have they changed user's lives?
- Gallery including This Morning Britain: Philip Schofield video on Ortho-K
- ITV News: Stop short-sightedness getting worse
- How does it work? American video - “braces for your eyes”